partitionable md devices and partition detection

From: Georgi Georgiev
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 00:01:10 EST

What is the proper way to detect the partitions on a md device during kernel
initialization?

The real problem I am facing is that I cannot boot my root partition, which is
on /dev/md_d0p1, without using an initrd. The kernel complains that the device
md_d0p1 does not exist.

If I use md=d0,/dev/hdc1,/dev/hde1,/dev/hdg1,/dev/hdk1,/dev/hdm1, after the
system boots (and booting from an ordinary non-raid device), I only have
/sys/block/md_d0/, but nothing below it. Nothing about md_d0p1 is reported in
/proc/partitions either.

If I run fdisk on /dev/md_d0 the missing partition entries appear.

The same behavior is observed when autodetecting the raid array using raid=part
instead of the md=d0 line.

Thanks for any insight.

Please, do not remove me from the CC.

--
*) Georgi Georgiev *) April 1 This is the day upon which we are *)
(* chutz@xxxxxxx (* reminged of what we are on the other three (*