Re: post 2.6.7 BK change breaks Java?

From: Andy Isaacson
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 17:47:17 EST

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 06:14:51PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> I've been pointed to the NX feature off-list and investigated, my CPU
> (AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Model 10 "Barton") doesn't support the noexec flag,
> and dmesg does not contain any output that MX was enabled, and the Java
> "Killed" problem persists when the kernel is booted with noexec=off.
>
> It must have entered the tree between v2.6.7 and revision 1.1757 in
> Linus' tree.

BK revision numbers aren't stable, so "1.1757" doesn't say much.
Instead, quote keys, either :KEY: or :MD5KEY:, like so:
% bk prs -hnd:KEY: -r1.1657 ChangeSet
akpm@xxxxxxxx[torvalds]|ChangeSet|20040323152307|55600
% bk prs -hnd:MD5KEY: -r1.1657 ChangeSet
4060565bRhJji9RfHpiUg8dYxnHR1A

Those identifiers are eternal and unchanging, and can be used almost
anywhere a revision number can be used. (Note that I used a different
rev, as I don't have 1.1757 in my tree at the moment.)

> BTW, how do I tell BitKeeper "pull up to revision..."? bk pull and bk
> undo -aREV is a way, but it's wasteful.

bk clone has a -r option, but it just does an undo internally. You
should definitely have a local mirror of the kernel source and make
temporary clones to work in, then the only things that you're wasting
are compute cycles and disk IO (rather than network bandwidth).

% (cd mirror/linux-2.5; bk pull)
% bk clone -ql -r4060565bRhJji9RfHpiUg8dYxnHR1A mirror/linux-2.5 tmptree

This works better if you have enough RAM to cache the entire BK tree
comfortably (at least 768MB, preferably a gig).

-andy (not speaking for or associated with BitMover)