Re: [2.4] lockup on boot with 2.4.26

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 04:58:09 EST

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:15:52 +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
>I have tried to update my gateway's kernel to 2.4.26 (Been running
>happily on 2.4.17, but a bit _old_, so finally decided this weekend
>to try and update it). At boot though it only gets to:
>
>--
>Uncompressing kernel... booting linux...
>--
>
>and then locks hard (the capslock and scroll lock leds lids)
>
>Its an old P3 450 on an Asus P2B (BX440 chipset). .config is pretty
>much the same as for the 2.4.17 kernel.

There's no inherent reason your P2B shouldn't boot. I know for
a fact that its successor, the P3B-F, boots just fine.

Your .config contains a lot of stuff not needed for booting,
you should eliminate it and try a minimal .config. In your
case, I'd definitely remove

CONFIG_EDD=y
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_FB=y

and possibly also

CONFIG_ISAPNP=y
CONFIG_SENSORS=y

You can always add them back once you've identified the breakage.