Maximum frequency of re-scheduling (minimum time quantum) question

From: Povolotsky, Alexander
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 03:23:18 EST

Hello,

In Linux 2.6 kernel, configured with SCHED_RR, - could rescheduling be set
to be attempted (and executed when appropriate) at EVERY CLOCK TICK, thus
allowing the "other" process/thread (if available and ready at the moment)
with the higher (highest at that time) priority or, otherwise, with the same
priority (the "next" process/thread in the same Round Robin queue, from
which the "current" process/thread was "picked" ) to preempt the "current"
process/thread ?

If EVERY CLOCK TICK is not conceptually possible (please note, that I am not
claiming that frequent rescheduling is "good", I am just asking to what
measure it is possible ...) - then what is the minimum "rescheduling" time
quantum (measured in clock ticks) is settable/possible ?

What is the default value (which I presume was chosen as "optimal" ?) ?

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Alex Povolotsky