[ANNOUNCE] Minneapolis Cluster Summit, July 29-30

From: Daniel Phillips
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 01:06:57 EST

Red Hat and (the former) Sistina Software are pleased to announce that
we will host a two day kickoff workshop on GFS and Cluster
Infrastructure in Minneapolis, July 29 and 30, not too long after OLS.
We call this the "Cluster Summit" because it goes well beyond GFS, and
is really about building a comprehensive cluster infrastructure for
Linux, which will hopefully be a reality by the time Linux 2.8 arrives.
If we want that, we have to start now, and we have to work like fiends,
time is short. We offer as a starting point, functional code for a
half-dozen major, generic cluster subsystems that Sistina has had under
development for several years.

This means not just a cluster filesystem, but cluster logical volume
management, generic distributed locking, cluster membership services,
node fencing, user space utilities, graphical interfaces and more. Of
course, it's all up for peer review. Everybody is invited, and yes,
that includes OCFS and Lustre folks too. Speaking as an honorary
OpenGFS team member, we will be there in force.

Tentative agenda items:

- GFS walkthrough: let's get hacking
- GULM, the Grand Unified Lock Manager
- Sistina's brand new Distributed Lock Manager
- Symmetric Cluster Architecture walkthrough
- Are we there yet? Infrastructure directions
- GFS: Great, it works! What next?

Further details, including information on travel and hotel arrangements,
will be posted over the next few days on the Red Hat sponsored
community cluster page:

http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/

Unfortunately, space is limited. We feel we can accommodate about fifty
people comfortably. Registration is first come, first served. The
price is: Free! (Of course.) If you're interested, please email me.

Let's set our sights on making Linux 2.8 a true cluster operating
system.

Regards,

Daniel