Re: Weird: 30 sec delay during early boot

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 12:34:16 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

This appeared in -bk-latest in the past day or two.

BK-current on x86-64 (config/dmesg/lspci attached) will pause for 30 wall-clock seconds immediately after being loaded by the bootloader, then will proceed to boot successfully and function correctly. This is reproducible on every boot.

So, 30 seconds with no printk output, then boots normally.

It was related to EDD, or some similar BIOS feature, IIRC.

Thank you for the hint!

I verified that changing CONFIG_EDD=y to '# CONFIG_EDD is not set' removed the 30-second pause at boot.

This 30-second pause only appeared recently on my x86-64 box (VIA-based Athlon64), so I'll bsearch changesets when I get a free moment (sometime this week).

I wonder, even, if it is related to the bootsetup.h fix from Matt that I forwarded recently.

Jeff