Re: Need help in creating 8GB RAMDISK

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 09:24:03 EST

Fawad Lateef wrote:
Hello

I am creating a RAMDISK of 7GB (from 1GB to 8GB). I
reserved the RAM by changing the code in
arch/i386/mm/init.c ..........

On i386 I'm not surprised this ties at 4G. It's probably too much trouble to make part of the ramdisk highmem, and part not.

Can any one tell me the reason behind this ??? I think
that in a single module we can't access more than 4GB
RAM ...... If this is the reason then what to do ??? I
need 7GB RAMDISK as a single drive ....

Just use ramfs. Then you don't waste the overhead of putting a filesystem on top of the ramdisk.

Jeff