Re: 4K vs 8K stacks- Which to use?

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 13:51:44 EST

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 10:44:44AM -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> Well I know IA32 is limited to a 4096 byte page size in the Linux Kernel;
> hence filesystems can only use 4KB blocks on IA32, therefore I was
> wondering if anything might change in 64bit land?

64-bit ports tend to have stacks around twice the native pagesize, e.g.
sparc64 has 16K stacks and 8K pages, similar to 32-bit ports, except for
ia64. The ia32 port has adopted the order 0 stacksize in the interest
of space savings relatively early among Linux ports. It would be nice
to get the same for all architectures, as higher-order allocations are
not good to have as anything but speculative (and obviously stacks are
not variable-sized) for reasons of fragmentation.

-- wli