Re: [RFC] Restoring HDIO_GETGEO semantics (was: Re: workaround for BIOS / CHS stuff)

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 19:38:31 EST

On Saturday 03 of July 2004 02:17, Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2004, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
> > You will find that the default_* files (i.e., the geometry from the
> > extended INT13 interface) match the values returned by HDIO_GETGEO.
>
> If my memory serves well, you wrote once long ago that your project needs
> the "legacy" value to make things work.
>
> Kernel 2.4 guessed usually legacy, right?

2.4 has drivers/ide/ide-geometry.c which is _exclusively_ for FS use,
IDE driver doesn't need it et all.

> Kernel 2.6 returns extended and it more upsets tools and users with
> trashed partitions.

2.6 returns "raw" IDE CHS not a BIOS translation.

I now think that Andries should have removed HDIO_GETGEO from
IDE driver _completely_ instead of only removing ide-geometry.c.

This can (and should) be still done.

Bartlomiej