Re: 2.4.26: IDE drives become unavailable randomly

From: Andre Costa
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 14:05:36 EST

(please cc me on any replies, I am not subscribed to this list)

Hi Nick,

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:43:58 +0100
"Nick Warne" <nick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]
> > Thks, folks, I wouldn't really suspect of bad cables/PSU, this was
> > an eye-opener. I have just opened the box and reseated the 80-wire
> > IDE cable to my hda device, and I will consider replacing it, just
> > in case. The PSU is brand new, 450W -- although it could be bad
> > quality, I will try to check this out.
> >
> > BTW: Nick, I missed your msg because you didn't cc me. My hda also
> > usually gets disconnected at early hours in the morning, as you
> > pointed out. I arrived today to work and it had happened again =/
> > Last entry on/var/log/messages was around 1:30am, and it was about a
> > NFS mount that had expired.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Andre
>
> Hi Andre,
>
> Sorry, I too am not subscribed to the list, and I read (and reply to)
> from:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel
>
> I totally overlooked CC'ing you.

No worries. I have to remind myself over and over again to put the
"please cc me" header on every msg =)

> Anyway, new IDE cable did fix the box at work for me. Also I only
> used smartd AFTER the problem arose, not before, so it was not smartd
> that caused it.

Thks, this is definitely valuable info. I will surely go after some new
cables to see if it improves my situation (I hope it does, otherwise I
will have to move services away from this box and relocate them to other
servers, which will be a PITA...)

On a side note, I browsed 2.4.27rc2 changelogs today, and there is some
interesting stuff there about interruptions, ACPI etc. Looking forward
to trying it out.

Thks again,

Andre

--