Re: [Linux-usb-users] linux 2.6.6, bttv and usb2 data corruption &lockups & poor performance

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 10:58:14 EST

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Duncan Sands wrote:

> > Is it possible that you are exceeding the capacity of your PCI bus?
>
> I guess so, but that's no reason to hang... Or is overloading the PCI
> bus somehow problematic?

Well it's certainly not good! :-)

One of the failure modes that will cause an immediate shutdown of a USB
host controller is a PCI error. If the controller isn't working lots of
bad things are likely to follow. I can imagine that even if that doesn't
happen, PCI errors could mess up other drivers or hardware too.

Alan Stern