Re: kernel 2.6.6 amd8111 apic bugs

From: Andreas Steinmetz
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 03:32:48 EST

Dan Hollis wrote:
There seem to be regular dma timeouts:
hdc: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
hdc: DMA interrupt recovery
hdc: lost interrupt
hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
hda: DMA interrupt recovery
hda: lost interrupt
Hardware:
Opteron 140, Tyan Tomcat K8S (S2850)

Try disabling ACPI (in .config or boot acpi=off iirc)

I had that problem, but not with ACPI, only when I forced APIC on. It was on the VIA controller which uses the same driver.

Turns out it was apic and not acpi at all. Booting with ACPI but noapic and I no longer get any dma errors.

Is the bug in the linux apic code or a hardware flaw in the opteron cpu? Or something else?

From the X86-64 patch release notes of Andi Kleen:

Reports that dual Tyan S2885 and S2880 can lock up when multiple IDE channels are stressed in parallel. "noapic" or "ideX=serialize" seems to work around it. Andre Hedrick thinks it's a generic bug/race in the IDE code.

Looks like you have a similar problem on a UP board.
--
Andreas Steinmetz SPAMmers use robotrap@xxxxxxxx