Trouble with the filesize limit

From: Steven Newbury
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 20:59:38 EST

Hi!
I'm been trying to download the DVD ISO for FC2. But I've run into a
problem. It isn't possible for me to download more than 2GiB. Other
people have been having the same problem (see the d4x message board). I
haven't been able to trace the exact cause for the limit "ulimit -f"
reports unlimited and I'm running reiserfs with 3.6 format filesystem
(in theory supports much more than 2GiB). I've tried programs d4x, wget
etc., each of them have received a SIGXFSZ and exited at 2GiB.

Strangely I am able to create much larger files with dd.

This sounds like a similar bug to one that was fixed in 2.4, where the
limit was always 2GiB unless logged in directly as root. However in
this case even that doesn't work.

kernel 2.6.7-ck1
glibc 2.3.3-27 (fedora core)
bash 2.05b-38 (fedora core)