A question about extended attributes of filesystem objects (setfattr command)

From: Jacky Malcles
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 07:52:45 EST

I have a question regarding
Attributes of symlinks vs. the files pointed to

If I try to attach name:value pair to object symlink file
then I'll get: "Operation not permitted"

reading the man pages of setfattr (or attr) I thought that it operates
on the attributes of the symbolic link itself.

show:
-----
touch f
ln -s f l
setfattr -n user.filename -v ascii1 f l
setfattr -h -n user.filename -v ascii2 f
getfattr -d f l
setfattr -h -n user.filename -v ascii3 l
setfattr -h --no-dereference -n user.filename -v ascii4 l
getfattr -d f l

so, my question is : what is expected ?
I've
libattr-devel-2.2.0-1
libattr-2.2.0-1
attr-2.2.0-1
and a 2.6.7 kernel

many thanks,
regards,

--
Jacky Malcles B1-403 Email : Jacky.Malcles@xxxxxxxx
Bull SA, 1 rue de Provence, B.P 208, 38432 Echirolles CEDEX, FRANCE