Re: inconsistency between SIOCGIFCONF and SIOCGIFNAME

From: Ulrich Drepper
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 23:53:19 EST

David S. Miller wrote:
> Ulrich, is there a major reason why you can't use RTNETLINK for
> your implementation? It behaves as you desire and gives you
> all of the link information you are after, in place of SIOCGIFCONF.

When was the netlink interface introduced? The ioctl() code is most
probably older and therefore we would still get wrong results on old
kernels. I don't know the reason why you hesitate, but the patch seems
really harmless and, as you pointed out, more compatible with the BSD
version.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â