Re: Block Device Caching

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 18:20:58 EST

Markus Schaber wrote:

This lead us to the conclusion that block devices do not cache, but the
filesystem does. But subsequently, I ran some tests on my developer
machine (Pentium 4 Mobile Laptop).

I had kernel experts repeatedly insist to me that block devices were cached, while all of my tests (using dd to or from, say, /dev/sda1 or whatever) indicated that there was absolutely no caching whatsoever.

In my experience, reads and writes to block devices are uncached, while filesystem stuff IS cached.