Re: inconsistency between SIOCGIFCONF and SIOCGIFNAME

From: Ulrich Drepper
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 14:15:24 EST

David S. Miller wrote:

> I enclose a potential implementation for the ipv4 instance.
> Please at least make sure it does what you want.

Seems to work nicely.

> I really really hope there is not some application out there
> that assumes that devices reported by SIOCGIFCONF are all up.
> That works now, and we'd break things by making the suggested
> change. So this is what I'm most concerned about.

The worst that could happen is that some more interfaces are reported.
Since the information provided by SIOCGIFCONF isn't really enough to do
anything meaningful other calls are needed at which point those
interfaces can be weeded out, if this is wanted. Also, the address
family reported for those interfaces is AF_UNSPEC which should be a hint
strong enough to recognize them.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â