Re: 2.6.7-mm1 - 2.6.7-mm4 weird http behavior

From: Stephen Hemminger
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 13:23:21 EST

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:20:06 +0200 (CEST)
Debi Janos <debi.janos@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am found an interesting (bug?) feature in kernels between
> 2.6.7-mm1 and 2.6.7-mm4
>
> Some web pages eg.
>
> http://www.hup.hu/
> http://portal.fsn.hu/
> http://wiki.hup.hu/
>
> is unreachable with these kernels. If i try kernel versions
> <= 2.6.7 everything is O.K. above-mentioned all web pages works.
>
> I try this web pages with some different operating systems
> like Windows, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, WinCe... and seems working
> fine for me.
>
> Any idea?

Dave enabled the receive buffer auto-tuning which uses TCP window
scaling. It looks like all these sites are running FreeBSD, perhaps
there is a bug in FreeBSD?

As suggested earlier please get a TCP dump of a failed connection.

To turn of receive buffer auto-tuning:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_moderate_rcvbuf=0
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_default_win_scale=0

Thanks.