Re: TCP-RST Vulnerability - Doubt

From: Lincoln Dale
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 21:36:30 EST

At 01:05 AM 27/06/2004, David S. Miller wrote:
> Could you kindly share your views regarding what Linux has done to its stack
> to overcome this vulnerability as it will be of great help to my research.

We have done nothing, and there are no plans to implement any workaround
for this problem.

the vulnerabilities are real for any application/protocol which makes use of long-duration TCP sessions.

the most common place that people have found the vulnerability to be of use is in killing BGP sessions.
protocols which make use of long-held TCP sessions such as NFSv3, irc, nntp, telnet, ssh, X11 et al are just as vulnerable.

cheers,

lincoln.