Re: 2.6.6: IPv6 initialisation bug

From: YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 12:06:34 EST

In article <20040628010200.A15067@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (at Mon, 28 Jun 2004 01:02:01 +0100), Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> says:

:
> What's the solution?

Bring lo up before bring others up.
What does prevent you from doing this?
(Do we need some bits to do this automatically?)

> Is there a good reason why IPv6 uses the loopback device for local
> routes?

IPv6 creates kernel routes for local addresses on lo to receive
packets for local address.

Well, someone probably wants to have
static local routes on ethX + temprary (cache) local routes on lo
(as IPv4 does; correct me if I'm wrong.)

But this won't work because IPv6 does DAD when we make some interface up.
We need lo anyway.

--yoshfuji