Nice 19 process still gets some CPU

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 09:59:31 EST

Given how much I've read here about schedulers, I should probably be able to answer this question myself, but I just thought I might talk to the experts.

I'm running SETI@Home, and it has a nice value of 19. Everything else, for the most part, is at zero.

I'm running kernel gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r6 (I believe).

When I'm not running SETI@Home, compiler threads (emerge of a package, kernel compile, etc.) get 100% CPU. When I AM running SETI@Home, SETI@Home still manages to get between 5% and 10% CPU.

I would expect that nice 0 processes should get SO MUCH more than nice 19 processes that the nice 19 process would practically starve (and in the case of a nice 19 process, I think starvation by nice 0 processes is just fine), but it looks like it's not starving.

Why is that?

Thanks.