Process in D state with USB and swsuspsp

From: Rob Landley
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 20:53:55 EST

I realise I did something stupid, but it took a while to figure it out, and
I'm not going to be the only person to do this.

My laptop has built-in wireless (orinoco_cs), but I used a USB ethernet
adapter to plug in to the wall for a bit (ohci-hcd and pegasus).

Then I the suspended the thing, unplugged the USB adapter, and packed the
laptop up. About twelve hours later, I fire the thing up, run "dhclient" to
get a wireless connection, but the first thing it tried to touch was the USB
connection that isn't there anymore. So it hung, ctrl-c wouldn't kill it,
and the process is stuck in D state.

Trying to figure out what was going on, I ran dhclient twice more and got two
more processes stuck in D state. It took a while to remember that yesterday
I was using the USB adapter, but today I'm not.

Ordinarily, I don't think the ohci-hcd module is even loaded. The kernel
currently thinks it is, but modprobe -r ohci-hcd resulted in yet another
process in D state...

As I said, I realise that unplugging even a USB adapter with the machine is
suspended is Not A Good Thing. But it's likely to be a common thing among
people who can't figure out after the fact "oh yeah, that's what's going
wrong"...

Rob
--
www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas. (I'm the con chair.)