Re: Elastic Quota File System (EQFS)

From: Amit Gud
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 23:04:42 EST

Fao, Sean wrote:

Amit Gud wrote:

It cannot be denied that there _are_ applications for such a system that we already discussed and theres a class of users who will find the system useful.

I personally see no use whatsoever. Why not just allocate 100% of the file system to everybody and ignore quota's, entirely? Each user will use whatever he/she requires and when space starts to run out, users will manually clean up what they don't need.

We should get our basics right first. We _do_ need quotas!! Without any quota system how are we going to avoid a malicious user from taking away all the space to keep other people starving? In EQFS also this can happen, but we are giving *controlled flexibility* to the user. He is having some stretching power but not beyond a certain limit. And do you think users are sincere enough to clean up there files when they are done?

I am totally against the automatic deletion of files and believe that all users will _eventually_ walk in on a Monday morning to find out that the OS took it upon itself to delete a file that was flagged as elastic, that shouldn't have been.

User is the king, he decides what files should be elastic and what not. This can always be controlled.

AG