Re: Scheduler: -mm vs -staircase

From: J.A. Magallon
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 17:57:57 EST

On 06.26, J.A. Magallon wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> Just a comment about a weird thing I have noticed wrt scheduling in latest
> kernels.
>
> My last two tests are 2.6.7-mm2 and 2.6.7-mm2+staircase-7.4 (plus a couple
> other things, like aic updated driver). I use GLMatrix as screensaver,
> running with nVidia drivers (yup, tainted kernels, but both are tainted ;)).
> What I have noticed:
> - With standard -mm, as GLMatrix runs, the framerate drops even to something
> like a frame every couple seconds
> - With staircase, it keeps running smoothly at 25fps.
>
> Something is strange in -mm. It keeps stoling cycles to the screensaver.
> Is this expected ?

Sorry for the noise, it also happens with -staircase.
Lets remake the question.
I start /usr/lib/xscreensaver/glmatrix -fps, and the frame rate starts at
25 fps. In 30 seconds it has dropped to 6 fps. The app is still using
the same cpu time (about 90% of one cpu on a dual xeon box with ht).

Any ideas ?

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()able!es> \ Software is like sex:
werewolf!able!es \ It's better when it's free