Re: [patch] teach netconsole how to do syslog

From: Jeff Moyer
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 13:55:19 EST

==> Regarding Re: [patch] teach netconsole how to do syslog; Matt Mackall <mpm@xxxxxxxxxxx> adds:

mpm> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 01:57:38PM -0400, Jeff Moyer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here's a patch which adds the option to send messages to a remote
>> syslog, enabled via the do_syslog= module parameter. Currently logs
>> everything at info (as did the original netconsole module). Patch is
>> against 2.6.6, though should apply to later.

mpm> Well as it stands, it's already syslog compatible, as the priority
mpm> level component of the syslog protocol is optional. I've made a point
mpm> of _defining_ the netconsole protocol as syslog (note the default
mpm> port) so that this could be done at a later date. Thus, I don't think
mpm> a new command line option is necessary.

Well, the way it is coded currently does not usually give a full line of
output on each line in my system log:

Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host HELP :
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host SysRq :
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host loglevel0-8
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host reBoot
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host Crash
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host tErm
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host kIll
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host saK
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host showMem
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host powerOff
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host showPc
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host unRaw
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host Sync
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host showTasks
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host Unmount
Jun 25 14:41:18 remote-host

mpm> On the other hand, for this to have real value, we need to provide
mpm> real priority levels. Which means we need to plug it in higher in the
mpm> printk framework so that we a) get all messages by default and b) get
mpm> them before the levels are stripped off. I had this in an earlier
mpm> version but dropped it as being too intrusive for 2.6.0 merger.

And are you still in favor of this? Want to post the code?

mpm> Also, if we're going to go to the trouble of being more completely
mpm> syslog-like, it's very useful (and trivial) to throw in the hostname
mpm> as well. Timestamp is slightly more difficult, but also worth
mpm> considering.

Hostname shows up by default with my syslogd.

-Jeff