Re: Collapse ext2 and 3 please

From: David van Hoose
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 07:56:15 EST

That could be a problem. How do I check its configuration?

Regards,
David

Philip R. Auld wrote:
Rumor has it that on Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 07:50:42AM -0400 David van Hoose said:

yeah.. Really. Here's what I do.

I have ext3 partitions, so I decided if they are different partitions, then I can compile my kernel with ext2 as a module and ext3 builtin.
So I do it and reboot. Panic! Reason? Cannot find filesystem for the root partition.
The error is in the kernel itself either way. Pick your reason.
1) ext3 is identified as ext2 on bootup.
2) There is no fallback to ext3 if ext2 is not found.

I'll check this again to be sure on a 2.6 kernel later today, but as far as 2.4 is concerned my kernel panics.

Make sure any initrd you are using is not ext2 based.

Cheers,

Phil

Regards,
David

PS. Shut up with the cheap insults. I have empirical evidence supporting my claim. Meaning there exists a bug somewhere.