Re: Elastic Quota File System (EQFS)

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 15:10:03 EST

Fao, Sean wrote:
Pavel Machek wrote:

What action should be taken can be specified by the user while making the
files elastic. He can either opt to delete the file, compress it or move it
to some place (backup) where he know he has write access. The corresponding

- having files disappear at the discretion of the filesystem seems to be
bad behaviour: either I need this file, then I do not want it to just
disappear, or I do not need it, and then I can delete it myself.

Actually, think .o or mozilla cache files... You don't need them, but if you have them,
things are faster.

I fail to understand the point you're trying to make. Are you suggesting that a feature doesn't necessarily have to be implemented, just because it's there? If so, the proposed idea on the "elastic" file system differs greatly. Cached content, for instance, speeds up the browsing experience *without* hindering the ability of the application to function normally. Caching is a true enhancement --in most circumstances. I can personally see no way to implement EQFS without greatly exasperating end users with its shortcomings.

Sean