Re: [discuss] Re: 32-bit dma allocations on 64-bit platforms

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 12:24:06 EST

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 06:15:40PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> reasonable to require the user to pass special boot options and
> tie up much memory.

the boot parameter will always work and it avoids a new zone. btw, if we
would link the driver into the kernel no boot parameter would be
necessary, if the hardware would be discovered it could allocated its
tons of memory with bootmem. But it sounds like there are too many
drivers in troubles so I believe we can't link them all.