Re: Alphabet of kernel source

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 06:07:57 EST

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I have a silly question, for which I am unable to google out the answer
> so far. Do we have a Linus' decree on the charset and encoding of the
> kernel source?

[SNIPPED...]

Good question! It was supposed to be ASCII which, I guess is
UTF-8 or something like that. However, I find that tabs, which
were decreed to be at 8-collumn intervals end up being used
instead of spaces i.e., one-column, etc. So, if you look at
some well-patched source you sometimes see a mess.

The names of contributors often have non-ASCII characters
in them. This may not be a problem, but when using `pine`
without the 'latest-and-greatest' version, they sometimes
are unreadable.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.26 on an i686 machine (5570.56 BogoMips).