Re: Stop the Linux kernel madness

From: David Lang
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 20:01:19 EST

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:12:34 PDT, 4Front Technologies said:

We precisely use this mechanism - we use
/lib/modules/<version>/build/include/linux/config.h to figure such features out
but when the "build" part of the path doesn't point to the right source tree,
where do you look?. SuSE ships kernel sources "unconfigured" which means that
you have to rely on something else to tell you what the exact kernel
configuration looks like.

Right, but hopefully you can tell it's a SuSE machine via other means, and
then apply a suitable workaround.

the problem with this is that you can have the situation where it's a SuSE box with a kernel.org kernel. I've had significant problems with installers for 3rd party software that decided what distro they were running on based on what kernel version showed up in uname

by the way there's useually a *version file in /etc that tells you what version of a particular distro you are running on (or at least what it was before it got tweaked)

David Lang