Re: 3ware 9500S Drivers (mm kernel)

From: Bruce Allen
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 00:14:09 EST

Hi Claudio,

> By the way, right now smartctl doesn't seem to work at all with SATA
> using the libata drivers, because AFAIK libata hasn't been taught to
> pass through the required S.M.A.R.T commands to the drive yet.

Jeff Garzik intends to add a passthru ioctl to libata, specifically for
applications like smartmontools. As soon as he's done this, we'll add
another '-d sata' device type to utilize that ioctl().

> Does anyone know how difficult is this to code, or if it is necessary
> to change the scsi layer as well as libata? I'm willing to assist in
> testing any patches to add the possibility of using smartmontools with
> libata drivers.

I don't know the answer but suspect that the scsi layer can handle this
'as is'. In fact the 3ware support in smartmontools passes all commands
through the scsi layer.

I appreciate the offer to act as a tester -- you'll probably hear from me
when this work is in progress, to take you up on it.

Cheers,
Bruce