Re: i2c device driver bugs

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 11:39:33 EST

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:32:44PM +0100, Shaun Colley wrote:
> Okay, thanks for the info greg.
>
> > Yes, this was a security issue a year ago, but has
> > been fixed since
> > then. Vendors have released kernels that fix this
> > issue for their 2.4
> > kernels. If not, I suggest you contact your vendor.
>
> What I meant by silent was, did the issue actually get
> mentioned in any of the distro vendor's advisories?

I did see it be mentioned in a few. But it really isn't that big of a
problem, as all distros seemed to have their /dev/i2c* nodes set to:
$ ls -l /dev/i2c*
crw------- 1 root root 89, 0 Feb 23 13:02 /dev/i2c0
crw------- 1 root root 89, 0 Feb 23 13:02 /dev/i2c-0
crw------- 1 root root 89, 1 Feb 23 13:02 /dev/i2c1
crw------- 1 root root 89, 1 Feb 23 13:02 /dev/i2c-1

Which prevents any normal user from exploiting this issue.

thanks,

greg k-h