Re: Oopses with both recent 2.4.x kernels and 2.6.x kernels

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 08:30:41 EST

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 10:07:05AM -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
> Marcelo and Stian,
>
> I have also seen this oops relating to low memory situations. I think
> ext3 allocates some data, has a null return, sets something to null, and
> then later it is dereferenced in kwapd.
>
> Anyone have a patch for this problem?

Steven,

For what I remember Stian oopses were happening in random places in the VM freeing
routines. That makes me belive what he was seeing was some kind of hardware issue,
because otherwise the oopses would be happening in the same place (in case it was
a software bug). The codepaths which he saw trying to access invalid addresses are
executed flawlessly by all 2.4.x mainline users. He was also seeing oopses with v2.6.

Assuming his HW is not faulty, I can think of some driver corrupting his memory.

Do you have any traces of the oopses you are seeing?

Stian, you told us switched servers now, I assume the problem is gone?
Are you still running v2.4 on that server?

Thanks!