Re: Frequent system freezes after kernel bug

From: Andreas Schmidt
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 12:52:41 EST

On 2004.06.13 02:10, Christian Kujau wrote:
Andreas Schmidt wrote:

| fcdsl 862816 2

could be totally unrelated, but please try to reproduce without this
(tainted) fcdsl module. it is often known for weird lockups. i'm not
able to tell from the oops message, so i have to ask: is this an SMP box?
The box has just one processor (Duron, in case it's relevant). BTW, I'm a bit at a loss how to reproduce the problem. Trouble is, it appears quite arbitrarily. The box has been running about 26hrs now without a reboot. (OK, there wasn't much activity today except handling mails.) I could unload the fcdsl module, which would cut me off the net. If necessary, I could even do this for a day or two -- but what if that error didn't occur during that time? As I'm not sure what triggered it in the first place, IMHO nothing could be deduced with certainty from the error not occuring. There'd only be definite information if it _did_ happen again. So, what do you suggest? (Sorry if that sounds obnoxious, but I'm really a bit confused about this stuff...)

Best regards,

Andreas