Re: 2.6 vm/elevator loading down disks where 2.4 does not

From: Clint Byrum
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 11:52:31 EST

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 16:25, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Possibly a memory zone problem. Could you try booting with "mem=896m" on
> the kernel command line, see how that affects things?

This took a while longer to try, as I didn't want to unfairly test it
against a box with 1G of RAM. So I rebooted my 2.4.23 and 2.6.7-rc3 test
boxes with mem=896m. No change in the 5:1 ratio when comparing 2.6's
disk reads to 2.4's. Of course, both boxes ended up reading from the
disk more often, as they had less RAM for cache. I was unable to run a
long test as I did before, but I'm confident the 3 hours I did run tests
for show that this isn't a memory zone problem.

I still think this behavior is happening because useful pages are being
removed from the page cache too soon. Maybe this is happening because of
excessive readahead?

-cb