Re: [STACK] >3k call path in reiserfs

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 21:49:16 EST

Jörn Engel wrote:

It appears to me that most developers agree to the two point above,
but you have some problems with them, at least lately. Am i wrong?

Jörn

I have a concept of stable version and development version. V3 is the stable release branch, and should not be disturbed except for bug fixes. V4 is where all new features go. In not very long, V4 will enter code freeze, and we will open a V5 branch where all new features will go.

Filesystem users want conservative release management. This is not gimp, this is a filesystem. It must be a zero defect product or it is useless.

This is all part of what responsible release management is about. I was the junior whiz kid in professional release management teams before starting Namesys. I listened to my elders and learned from them. My standards for professional conduct in this arena are higher than yours as a result of that.

You are a bunch of young kids who lack professional experience in release management. That is ok, but don't get aggressive about it.

I have no desire to pay for your mistakes, and as the official maintainer it is my responsibility to ensure that neither I nor the users pay for the mistakes of those who add bugs to stable branches instead of adding them to the development branches where they belong.

Hans