Re: [STACK] >3k call path in reiserfs

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 18:40:59 EST

Dave Jones wrote:

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 11:04:49AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
> >>Can you give me some background on whether this is causing real problems > >>for real users?
> >
> >Especially with the 4k stack option enabled, it will cause real problems
> >for real users. A better change would be to cut down on the size of the
> >tree balance struct, but that would be more invasive. For starters we
> >might be able to switch from ints to shorts for some of the arrays.
> >
> >-chris
> >
> Can you tell me about the "4k stack option"?

Arjan's original patch & announcement are at
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/4kstack.patch

Dave

Forcing kernel developers to distort their coding to keep stack sizes small is not a good idea, as it makes the whole kernel harder to code for a not very compelling (for 99% of users, please argue with me if you think it is otherwise) benefit.

I do not think I favor disturbing V3's stability for the sake of the 4k stack option, but my mind is still open.