Re: slow down in 2.6 vs 2.4

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 15:15:30 EST

Phy Prabab wrote:
Hello!

Over the last two days I have been struggling with
understanding why 2.6.x kernel is slower than
2.4.21/23 kernels. I think I have a test case which
demostrates this issue.

Unfortunately this is common. There are a bunch or tunables like swappiness and readahead you can adjust, but if anyone has a handle on why it's really so slow they don't seem to have gotten a patch out.

On features 2.6 wins, on performance 2.4 seems faster in many cases.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)