Re: keyboard problem with 2.6.6

From: Sau Dan Lee
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 12:13:04 EST

>>>>> "Valdis" == Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx> writes:

Valdis> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:17:04 +0200, Sau Dan Lee said:
>> Explain to me how a kernel compiled with CONFIG_SERIO=m
>> CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=m would be able to boot with
>> "init=/bin/sh" and still have the keyboard working.

Valdis> Explain to me why you think that example is a good reason
Valdis> why a kernel compiled with

Valdis> CONFIG_SERIO=y
Valdis> CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y

Valdis> should *NOT* be able to boot with 'init=/bin/sh'.

"make help" shows:

Configuration targets:
oldconfig - Update current config utilising a line-oriented program
menuconfig - Update current config utilising a menu based program
xconfig - Update current config utilising a QT based front-end
gconfig - Update current config utilising a GTK based front-end
defconfig - New config with default answer to all options
allmodconfig - New config selecting modules when possible
allyesconfig - New config where all options are accepted with yes
allnoconfig - New minimal config

A person trying to upgrade from 2.4 would suppose that the 2.4 .config
won't work and would likely start with "make allmodconfig", and then
"make {menu/x}config". With 100s (or 1000s) of configuration items,
it is not easy for a 2.4-er to discover that one now has to explicitly
enable i8042 and atkbd. So, it is likely for him to have:

CONFIG_SERIO=m
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=m

--
Sau Dan LEE ???(Big5) ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)