Re: APM realy sucks on 2.6.x

From: Ian Stirling
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 15:21:29 EST

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi!

| PCMCIA... well, that's another obsolete technology. Too bad.

PCMCIA is obsolete? Did I miss something, or was this a joke?
<snip>

Cardbus maybe, USB not. USB is very nice, but it's not typically SMALL. A PCMCIA NIC card is a credit card size, a USB NIC is a box plus a cable. Before you tell me I don't need it please name the affordable laptop which has 2 NICs.

My USB nic is about 1.5*1.5*6cm, 10/100mbps ethernet, works with linux, cost
around $10 from ebay. Unfortunately, I've lost it, as it's rather small. Argh.

A problem with USB is that the connector is terribly designed for laptops.
A 5cm lever sticking out of laptops are bad. I've got several hacked plugs that
reduce this to 1cm, which is bearable.

IMO, all laptop connectors should be breakaway, when pulling the cable to detach
the connector at any angle does not destroy the connector.

It's only been a couple of years since the majority of low-end 802.11b cards being
sold were PCMCIA.