Linux 2.4.26 JFS: cannot mount

From: Matthias Andree
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 14:59:01 EST

Hi,

this is a FYI bugreport. I acknowledge it doesn't contain useful
information for debugging, but in case there have already been related
reports, it may still be useful:

I recently had a mount failure for a jfs file system at boot-up, mount
complained about bad options or superblock, but no messages were stuffed
in dmesg.

Running fsck.jfs /dev/hda6 without further argument fixed this problem,
after fsck.jfs, I could mount the file system normally.
(fsck.jfs version 1.1.1, 17-Dec-2002)

Vanilla 2.4.26 kernel on SuSE Linux 8.2.

I haven't found any useful logs and didn't bother to dump the broken
file system image to tape or something because it struck a production
machine that needed to be brought back up quickly.

It is exported via NFS v2 and NFS v3 to Linux/x86 and Solaris 8/sparc64
clients.

The problematic file system was on an IBM IC35L060AVV207-0 drive that
was running with write cache switched off, it is an Athlon-XP 1700+
machine with 512 MB RAM and a VIA KT333 chip set that has been solid for
a long time.

The reboot that showed the mount error had been triggered by watchdog
that wasn't too happy that syslogd wasn't writing to /var/log/messages
(which was 2 GB sized after a looping process filled the disk)

Thanks for your attention,

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95