Re: APM realy sucks on 2.6.x

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 04:37:00 EST

Hi!

> |>PCMCIA is obsolete? Did I miss something, or was this a joke?
> |

> | Obsoleted by cardbus, I believe. (cardbus cards look like PCMCIA
> | cards, but electrical protocol is different) Plus, as someone else
> | noted, stuff moves into mainboard. USB also replacs part of what
> | PCMCIA was for.
>
> hmm, I didn't know that there is a change from PCMCIA to cardbus.
> Thought still there are lot of pcmcia stuff around. wlan cards, eg my
> dial up card (CF card into a PCMCIA adapter). Well I wouldn't abandon
> PCMCIA so fast. At least the linux kernel is know for beeing able to use
> very old hardware in a very good way ...

Yes, pcmcia still survives in form of compactflash, mostly used by
low-powered handhelds etc. That's where ISA survives too.

I agree that supporting PCMCIA is usefull, and that linux should run
on old hardware; but you can see that PCMCIA and APM is in "old
hardware" category, along with ISA, Pentium I CPUs and serial ports.

Linux still tries to support 386 cpus, and its right. However its not
same level of support as modern hardware.
Pavel
--
934a471f20d6580d5aad759bf0d97ddc