Re: how to configure/build a kernel in a separate directory?

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 16:54:29 EST

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 23:31, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
[...]
> > (i originally posted this to the "make" mailing list, but i figured
> > someone here *must* have done this before.)

Not only here. And yes.

> > is there an easy way to configure/build one or both of a 2.4 and 2.6
> > kernel in a totally separate directory from the source directory itself?
> >
> > i'd like to have a totally pristine ("make mrproper"ed) source tree,
> > write-protected, readable by all, so that several developers can
> > independently configure and build their own kernels without stepping on
> > each other. currently, they all check out their own copy of the source
> > via CVS, which starts to take up a lot of space.
> >
> > obviously, it would be great if they could all set up some kind of build
> > structure where they could do their own configuration and build in their
> > personal work directories, so that *all* generated results (header files,
> > object files, etc.) are placed in their work directory -- nothing should
> > be generated in the kernel source tree itself.
> >
> > i'm suspecting that, if there are solutions, they will be different from
> > 2.4 to 2.6, so i'll take whatever solutions i can get. others have
> > suggested using gnu make in combination with "VPATH", but i'm not sure
> > that's going to work, as VPATH deals strictly with pre-requisites in other
> > directories, not executable programs like scripts.

VPATH works for make, but not for other scripts and tools.

> I would make a script that creates a symbolic-link of all the
> source-files and headers. To get it right, put the source on
> a r/o file-system as a start. It's a lot of work.

No, lndir exists (somewhere in X11 or XFree86 IIRC).
Just make a sym-linked copy of the (read-only) pristine source
directory.
Voila. And quite easy.

> `find . -name "*.[chS]"` should get all the sources, but there
> are some scripts you will have to hunt for.

No, just take all files which are there. It is simple and works.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55