Re: [BUG] NFS no longer updates file modification timesappropriately

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 12:04:29 EST

På må , 07/06/2004 klokka 12:53, skreiv Trond Myklebust:

> > Compatibility with existing behavior. It's called a de-facto standard.
>
> The "de-facto standard" you describe has never existed other than for
> large files. It was never true of small files that did not trigger
> immediate writeout.

...in fact even for files that trigger immediate writeout, the behaviour
was erratic, since writes could still be cached after the
memory-triggered flush was completed.

So I repeat: There has *never* been a standard other than the
close-to-open.

There has *never* existed any reliable mtime/ctime while the client was
caching writes.

If you want that sort of behaviour, the options are O_SYNC, fsync(),
close(), or "mount -osync". There is no call for it in async writes.