Re: linux crashing on amd athlons?

From: Matthias Andree
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 18:58:46 EST

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004, Ameer Armaly wrote:

> While installing linux on an amd athlon, the kernel is oopsing and shuting
> down the computer at random places within the install. This is a custom
> built kernel off of kernel.org I built, which I optimized for athlon then
> i386 afterwards, but with no luck.

I have several Athlons (from the venerable 500 to the new XP 2600+) in
use at various sites, no problems. Among them an XP 1700+ in server use
with vanilla 2.4.26, rock solid.

Check you've used a supported compiler and binutils, then check the
hardware. Cooling (heat sink), RAM (try memtest86), power supply, proper
clock speed and core voltage, proper RAM timing -- these are all
contributing factors to instability if not carefully chosen and
installed.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95