Re: clone() <-> getpid() bug in 2.6?

From: chris
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 11:34:10 EST

Hi Linus,

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> But no, even despite the strange usage, this isn't a performance issue.
> qmail will call "getpid()" a few tens of times per connection because of
> the wonderful quality of randomness it provides, or something.

The openssl library seems to have a strange love for getpid() too. At
least, my old-ish version "openssl-0.9.6b-35.7" does.
My strace logs show over 50 consecutive getpid() calls during the
processing of the SSL_accept() routine. (I'm adding SSL support to vsftpd;
SSL_accept() is called every client connect and also to accept passive
data connections).

Cheers
Chris