Re: keyboard problem with 2.6.6

From: Sau Dan Lee
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 11:16:08 EST

>> If init can launch /bin/bash (actually, it lauches getty in
>> most setups), why can't it start the userland keyboard driver
>> daemon?

Dmitry> Init does not start bash, in the case above bash started
Dmitry> by the kernel _instead_ of init. The only thing you have
Dmitry> is bash. No regular init scripts will be executed,
Dmitry> nothing.

If you can launch /bin/bash using init= from GRUB or LILO, you can
equally lauch a bash script that starts the userspace keyboard driver
daemon before and then "exec /bin/bash".

Of course, you can argue that this daemon may rest on a fs that hasn't
be mounted yet, or on a fs that has been corrupted. But so can the
/bin/bash executable!

Moreover, I can also argue the kernel image may also have been
corrupted due to disk errors, and the keyboard driver code lies in
those corrupted sectors, unfortunately.

Further, a kernel keyboard driver can coexist with a userspace one.
The kernel one can be made simpler, providing only the very basic
needs. Once the userspace daemon starts successfully, it can take
over. Programs like X11 may drive the keyboard directly and provide
many sophisticated features that a simple kernel driver doesn't
provide. Take a look at xkb.

--
Sau Dan LEE ???(Big5) ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx