Re: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2

From: Mike McCormack
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 04:12:24 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

And btw, if you'd have read the whole thread you'd have seen that I argued
against mergign the randomization and address space layout changes into
2.6, and such changes during stable series are bad. But your still much
better of getting your code fixed properly, and thus pretty much means
havign your own binary format handler in the kernel that sets up the address
space in a windows compatible way.

The staticly linked userspace binary loader seems like the best solution to me. For binary distributions of Wine there's no need to compile kernels or modules at install time, no need to be root to install and no need for us to write and maintain kernel code for N different operating systems. Please let me know if you think of a way to break this solution ;)

Anyway, thanks for at least trying to keep these kind of changes for new major versions.

Mike