Re: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 03:11:22 EST

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 06:13:41PM +0900, Mike McCormack wrote:
> We are using our own user space loader now, but a kernel space loader is
> neither portable or practical.

Huh? binfmts do work on all linux architectures unchanged. What you do
on other operating systems is up to you. And btw, netbsd already has
binfmt_pecoff, you could certainly make use of that, too.

> it would be
> nice if somebody let us know when they're going to make a change that is
> going to break Wine, and provide a way for us to workaround that change,
> or even better maintain real binary compatability...

_You_ are relying on undocumented assumptions here. Windows has different
address space layouts than ELF ABI systems and I think you're much better
off having your own pecoff loader for that.

> It seems Linus's kernel does that quite well, but some vendors seem not
> to care too much about breaking Wine.

Why should they? You need to fix up the broken assumptions in wine.