Re: jff2 filesystem in vanilla

From: Daniel Egger
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 03:29:56 EST

On 05.06.2004, at 01:09, David Woodhouse wrote:

Linus' tree is updated periodically when I'm sufficiently happy with the
stability of the development tree in CVS, and when I have time to merge
it, test it and read through all the changes for sanity -- which often
involves redoing some of them. You should be OK using what's in the
kernel -- let me know if you have problems.

The original version in the 2.4 kernel has a dramatic problem
leading to FS corruption, at least when used with blkmtd on CF.
That's why I'm using 2.4 and a CVS snapshot, not only because
it is much faster.

To use it on a non-MTD[1] device you will need an emulation layer,
the pseudo Block-MTD device. And you will need some additional partition
using ext2/ext3/reiserfs/FAT containing the kernel for your Grub/LILO
bootloader.

JFFS2 on blkmtd isn't ideal -- it's designed to work on real flash. But
it works. It could do with someone making it use the stuff we did for
NAND -- batching writes into 512-byte chunks etc.

Believe it or not but JFFS2 is the only filesystem that works
reasonably on CF, especially when the system is used mostly read
only and the device is cut off from power every now and then. ;)

I tried different FS which we used read-only (and remounted it
r/w in case we needed it) in the last tries but we still were
able to kill a card without a problem and had FS corruption which
needed a console to fix.

Servus,
Daniel